1.25.2009

Italian sunday

Aw I had such a perfect, and almost cliche' Italian sunday today.

In short - it began with going to mass at the Duomo (incredible - there are two saints buried within the church as well - it was spectacular.) Then, when we were leaving, Chloe and I heard again this guy who plays everyday near Piazza Novembre the music from Amelie on an accordian. He plays so well - and I read in a guidebook that he actually co-wrote the soundtrack to Amelie with Yann Tiersen. For all of you who may not be aware of this - the Amelie soundtrack is probably the most played on my iTunes - this is really cheesy but it kind of changed my life a little bit. So the fact that I'm here in Italy - town of my dreams, and every day when I walk up and down these tiny, narrow, ancient stone streets I am serenaded to this music that I love - it's amazing.

Anyway, I wanted to ask this guy (he's such a character, he plays everyday and he has these long dreads and wears striped, baggy hobo esque pants) if it was really true that he worked with Yann Tiersen - but an older couple beat me to it.

Chloe and I waited around for a little while -the weather is beautiful and there were people all around - Sunday is a big day for Perugians lol - so I didn't mind. But eventually we decided to just come back another day. As soon as we walked away, so did the couple that was talking to accordian man (figures) and accordian man started playing again....chance gone. But I wasn't giving up this one - I had to know - so I asked the couple all about him and we got in this really good conversation.

The man is a Prof. of Art at a University in Le Marche region and he and his wife gave us all this advice of places to go and things to see - they were so cute - and he told us to look him up should we ever be in Le Marche (done). Anyway, the man, Atiglio, talked with accordian man because he loves music (and "lui e' bravo, bravo!") and he invited accordian man to play at his house for a dinner party he's having (so Italian - and accordian man accepted).

Then Chloe and I got caffe at this beautiful cafe' and tonight after I do my translation and other homework we're going to see a movie with Donatella.

Oh - and last night! Sorry this is getting long so I'll make it short (I know I always say that - oops.). Last night was so fun. Luca invited Caitlin and I to a party his friend Michele was having - it was actually a going away/bday party bc Michele is going to Sweden through Erasmus next Tuesday. But anyway - it was so fun. They live in this apartment in the center of perugia in this hidden little allyway. There were about 15 of us and we talked about the craziest things. Like at one point, Michele, this guy Mattia and I got in a friendly argument over who is worse - Bush or Berlusconi. haha but we ended up compromising that the two are bros so theyre both pretty bad.

Hilarious. Also, Michele's friends gave him a cake and before he blew out the candles he pulled an Obama and said (in Italian - no one spoke english) "Voglio chiudere Guantanamo, vorrei cambiare il mondo..." (I will close Guantanamo, I would like to change the world..!) hahaha but I think that Caitlin and I may have been the only one's who got his reference.

Oh, and one other thing. When I got there one of the guys thought I was greek! haha but (and this keeps happening) the other guys were like no, no -can't you tell she's calabrese?? -- how do they know where i'm from?! crazy!

hahaha okay this is long enough - i'll make up for my ramblings with pictures. get excited!

ciao!
<3g

1 comment:

  1. aw gabs, im so jealous you got to listen to the Amelie soundtrack by the guy that actually wrote it!! I too am in LOVE with it..shame you cant videotape him!

    ReplyDelete